Re: Call for Calligraphy Teachers for Conference

Hi, John,

Here's a notice about and schedule for exhibitions and workshops
and readings for my new letterpress translation, with illustrations,
of Beowulf.  HOpe you can use it.

Thansk,

Bertha Rogers
---------

My new translation of "Beowulf," the  Anglo-Saxon epic poem, with
ten original illustrations, has just been published by Birch Brook
Press.
------------------------------------
"Thanks to you (and no doubt to the old bard or bards) I
 see what a powerful and splendid poem 'Beowulf' is.  When I came
 to those sea beasts sunning themselves on the ledges I gasped
 with wonder!  Your verse treads a nice line between the strict old
 measure and something looser. . . Congratulations!"
-- James  Merrill

"Bertha Rogers has succeeded admirably in the daunting task of
translating Beowulf.  She preserves the Anglo-Saxon poet's dense,
rich poetic strategies to just the right degree and sorts out the
often tangled syntax into a clear, well-paced narrative . . .Beowulf
comes to vivid life here."
-- Graham Duncan, Professor of English,
Emeritus, State University of New York at Oneonta
The book is available from the publisher as follows:

Softcover letterpress:  $20.  Hardcover (signed-numbered-ltd. to
100): $65.  Shipping:  $2.75 (soft), $3.75 (ltd-hard).  Int'l sales:  US
check or cash only & $8 to ship.  136 pages.  Metal type, cast on
a  Monotype system and worked by hand.  All artwork is by Bertha
Rogers and original to this book; art was converted to wood-
mounted engravings for letterpress printing.  Text stock is 70 lb.
Mohawk vellum, Cool White.  Cover stock is 65 lb. Aged
Astroparche.  Hardcover is 80 lb. Mohawk Satin, gold-stamped.
Birch Brook Press, POB 81, Delhi, NY 13753

-------------------------------------
I will be doing a series of readings, exhibits, book arts discussions
and workshops, and book signings.  The schedule follows:

SCHEDULE OF READINGS AND EXHIBIT OF DRAWINGS
AND/OR ARTISTS BOOKS AND PAINTINGS BY BERTHA
ROGERS

July 6, 2000

Bertha Rogers poetry workshop for children and teenagers at the
Parmly Billings Library, 510 North Broadway, Billings Montana,
1:00 p.m.

Reading of her new translation of "Beowulf" by Bertha Rogers at
the Parmly Billings Library, 510 North Broadway, Billings,
Montana, with exhibit of original art and discussion of letterpress
and illustration process. Book signing follows. 7 p.m.

July 9, 2000

Reading of her new translation of "Beowulf" by Bertha Rogers at
The Mill Coffeehouse, 800 P Street, Lincoln, Nebraska, 7 p.m.
Book signing follows.

July 12, 2000

Reading of her new translation of "Beowulf" by Bertha Rogers at
the New Hampton Public Library,  20 West Spring Street, New
Hampton, Iowa, with exhibit of original "Beowulf" art and discussion
of letterpess and illustration process. Book signing follows.  5 p.m.

August 30, 2000

Reading of her new translation of "Beowulf" by Bertha Rogers at
the Hunting Tavern, Andes, NY, following by roundtable discussion
and book signing.  7 p.m.

September 27, 2000

Reading of her new translation of "Beowulf" by Bertha Rogers at
Wells College, Aurora, NY.  Contact Bruce Bennett, Director,
Creative Writing, Wells College, Aurora, NY, for time.

 December 2 - 30, 2000

 Beowulf!  --- An Exhibit of Mixed Media Wall Works and Artists'
 Books by Bertha Rogers, translator and illustrator of "Beowulf"
 Birch Brook Press, 2000)
 Opening Reception & Reading by the Artist - December 2, 2 p.m.
 96th Street Regional Branch
 The New York (City) Public Library
 112 East 96th Street
 New York, NY 10028
 (212) 289-0908
 Hours:  Monday & Thursday, 12-8 p.m.
 Tuesday, Wednesday, & Friday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
 Saturday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. - Free Admission

January 3 - 31, 2000
Beowulf! -- An Exhibit of Mixed Media Wall Works by Bertha
Rogers, translator and illustrator of "Beowulf"
Opening Reception & Reading by the Artist - January 6, 2:30 p.m.
Jefferson Market Regional Library
Second Floor Reading Room
425 Avenue of the Americas (at 10th Street)
New York, NY 10011
(tele) 212-243-4334
Tuesday, 12 - 6 p.m.
Wednesday, 12 - 8 p.m.