Paper and Hazardous Substances

 I received this note and several citations from Teri Lynn Hebert. I am
passing them on to the list.

Dick Grant

The Hazardous Substances Data base is available for free searching at
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?HSDB
I searched on printing inks and got a long list.  Each entry has
info about toxicity for humans as well as animals.  It tells what
each chemical is used in - eg newspapers, general printing, comic books,
etc. If an ink has any heavy metals in, they are quite active in
slurries of ground up paper, so you and your students definitely should
be using gloves:  arsenic, chromium, lead etc are nasty things.  Go
check out this site...
Teri Lynn
<<<