tallow candles

This message is being sent to the book_arts_l, exlibris, and sharp bulletin
boards:

Does anyone know of a source where we can purchase tallow candles? The
usual American store-boughten ones are generally made either from paraffin
(ie some sort of solidified petroleum product ) or from beeswax. But until
at least well into the c19, the more usual every-day candle for common
folks would have been made of tallow, and we'd like to try them.

Many thanks!

Terry Belanger  :  University Professor  :   University of Virginia
Book Arts Press : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903
Tel: 804/924-8851   FAX: 804/924-8824  email: belanger@virginia.edu