Preservation question

Hello,

I am a new member of this list with a question. I just found a box containing
a number of "old" family books -- small grammar and poetry books from the
late 1800s -- that are in varying degress of disrepair. I've read enough
about book preservation/conservation to know that doing the wrong thing is
sometimes worse than doing nothing at all. My question now is what is the
best way to store these books until I can get them to someone who knows how
to repair them? Should they be wrapped in something to protect them from
heat, light and humidity?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Suzanne