Tallow candles

--=====================_35462121==_.ALT

Many persons have written me off- or online to suggest that I might be able
to buy tallow candles at  gift shops in historic village recreations. A
reliable source has this to say about purchasing tallow candles at places
like Colonial Williamsburg:
They didn't want to have anything to do with tallow candles in modern
retail for the same reason (*I* think) that folks in the period didn't like
'em  they're a mess. At just about anything above 80 degrees you can count
on Criscoonawick.

Other persons have sent me recipes, real or imagined, for making tallow
candles. As it happens, I already know how to make tallow candles. But I
don't want to make tallow candles: I want to *buy* them. [For years I used
to have a sign hanging in my office at SLS for Richard Noble and me to
contemplate: "Of course I can do it. The question is, do I want to?" ]

Still others have told me about tallow candle demonstrations; interesting,
but what I am looking for is a source for *purchasing* tallow candles.

On another front, Helen Kahn writes:
With all due respect, does the question of the manufacture of tallow
candles really have more relevance to this list than a one-line
announcement of a bookseller's catalogue?

It does indeed. Many of us on the lists to which I have posted the original
query are professionally or avocationally  concerned with the history of
reading, and a great deal of night-time reading for several centuries was
done via the use of tallow candles, which were much cheaper than beeswax
candles or oil lamps.
         I am looking for a supply of these candles so I can hand them out
to students in my undergraduate history of the book courses to take home to
read by for half an hour or so.

Terry Belanger  :  University Professor  :   University of Virginia
Book Arts Press : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903
Tel: 804/924-8851   FAX: 804/924-8824  email: belanger@virginia.edu

--=====================_35462121==_.ALT

I might be able to buy tallow candles at&nbsp; gift shops in historic
village recreations. A reliable source has this to say about purchasing
tallow candles at places like Colonial Williamsburg:<br>

<dl>
<dl>
<dl>
<dd>They didn't want to have anything to do with tallow candles in modern
retail for the same reason (*I* think) that folks in the period didn't
like 'em&nbsp; they're a mess. At just about anything above 80 degrees
you can count on Criscoonawick.<br>

</dl>
</dl>
</dl>Other persons have sent me recipes, real or imagined, for making
tallow candles. As it happens, I already know how to make tallow candles.
But I dont want to make tallow candles: I want to *buy* them. [For years
I used to have a sign hanging in my office at SLS for Richard Noble and
me to contemplate: Of course I can do it. The question is, do I want
to? ]<br>
Still others have told me about tallow candle demonstrations;
interesting, but what I am looking for is a source for *purchasing*
tallow candles.<br>
On another front, Helen Kahn writes:<br>

<dl>
<dl>
<dl>
<dd>With all due respect, does the question of the manufacture of tallow
candles really have more relevance to this list than a one-line
announcement of a bookseller's catalogue?<br>

</dl>
</dl>
</dl>It does indeed. Many of us on the lists to which I have posted the
original query are professionally or avocationally&nbsp; concerned with
the history of reading, and a great deal of night-time reading for
several centuries was done via the use of tallow candles, which were much
cheaper than beeswax candles or oil lamps.<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I am
looking for a supply of these candles so I can hand them out to students
in my undergraduate history of the book courses to take home to read by
for half an hour or so.<br>
:&nbsp;&nbsp; University of Virginia</div>
22903</div>
belanger@virginia.edu</div>