Re: Chinese Funeral Paper (aesthetics)

----- Original Message -----
From: soylent greenberg <mbgst11+@PITT.EDU>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: Chinese Funeral Paper (aesthetics)

I'm not sure if Miriam's comment is in reference to the Declaration Globe,
which, methinks, is not a joke at all, but a thought provoking statement
which merely uses humor (the shock of the unexpected, not bigotry) as a
schill to a very serious purpose.

If her comment is in reference to Chinese Funeral Paper, well, who used it
first? the Chinese, the Vietnamese? Koreans? Are these different cultures
insensitive to each other by expanding a meaningful concept, by finding a
concept from outside their culture worthy of appropriation? In all of the
discussion on Joss paper,and the perameters of its appropriate use, I have
heard no mention attempted humor, even as a schill.

I too, find this discussion interesting.

jim ann