Re: Book Cover

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Barker <barker@BRUCEMAUDESIGN.COM>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 10:36 PM
Subject: Book Cover

> I am trying to find examples of interesting book casings using foil
stamping
> and book cloth with a variety of textures. I am working on a book to be
> bound in a variety of fabrics, from the sacred to the profane, the tacky
> the tasteful, (anything from faux-lizard latex impregnated cloth to
> flocking, felt or plastic) > thanks,
>
> Michael Barker

Hello Michael,

Beautiful, interesting, or whatever can come from rust.  You will need some
good sized butcher's pans -any large, shallow pans will do,  and an
assortment of "rustables" - I have used old gears, barbed wire, stamped tin
from ceilings and pie safes, old saw blades, hog wire, etc- you get the
idea. The landfill is your friend.

 Cloth to be patterned can be placed below as well as on top of items.  It
is helpful to pickle everything with a saline solution and let the whole
mess rest in a corner for days, weeks, - you will need to  experiment here.
I tend to experiment everywhere.  The larger your tray or container, the
more continuous the overall effect will be, or you can rearrange everything
and re-rust the same pieces  of cloth. Silks work particularly well with
this process. Fabrics can be dyed before, after, or not at all. Rusty bits
can be sewn  directly onto the cloth, or glued under, if the materials used
are thin, for a veiled effect.

Obviously this isn't a quick fix, but things can be put into motion for
projects down the line.

Good fun, good luck.

Jim Ann