Re: women/men in book arts

--=====================_32907159==_.ALT

Hi Gwen, I have noticed that your in Indiana for some time now. I am a lurker
on the book list and have learned a lot by just reading my email. I am NOT a
bookbinder , however, I do one of a kind books with my marbled papers,
calligraphy, illustrations and simple bindings. I also teach the book arts to
Middle School student at Shortridge M.S. in Indy. It is a magnet school for
the
arts. I think that more and more teachers are seeing the value of a
comprehensive project that includes many artist skills. My students do
unbelievable work. I find if I let them choose a topic then the books are
better than if I assign a subject. As far as the women/men thing I think it is
because there are more teachers that are women. We need more men in the arts
teaching our kids. I hope this helps you in some way. I hope that what I'm
doing would help my students too. I teach all the requirements and cumulate
them into the form of a book that goes in their portfolio and on to H.S. They
come out with a product and an appreciation of' the book.' Best regards, Judy

Judy Walker
Paper Trail Antiques
236 N. West Street
Tipton, IN 46072

[...]