Transfer experiments and results

. There have been several responses to this question and some in the Archive
but I did some systematic experimenting which I would like to add because it
may clarify some of the responses. I  transfer onto monotypes which I
generally print on Rives BFK or Arches or other heavy (300gsm or 356 gsm)
paper and other printing papers of a textured nature. Some cold press or
rough.  Here's the skinny on transfers.  Yes, you will get a better transfer
if you were using a hot pressed paper for your final effforts.  But as you
might expect there is more texture to the transfer when it ends up on
textured paper. As to the the transfer itself, in my opinion, it ONLY works
if  your transfer was done on a Canon . A few years ago, I took some images
to many copy stores, all the same day, in the nature of trying to solve this
problem.  I used the same image on a Minolta, a xerox , HP, Canon,and about
three other machines found around town.  I then tried transferring  using
several different agents. i.e. Citrasolve, Bio-Max, WonderWash,
Xylene(Blender Pens by ChartPak),Oil of Wintergreen, andMineral Spirits on
each.(The first three BTW are used for cleaning rollers and plates in etching
presses and letterpress etc, or for washing the blankets. They are available
from Kelly paper and janitorial supply houses and places specializing in
letterpress type and inks.etc)
Here's the nitty gritty: Nothing worked unless it had been printed with a
Canon. There was simply no transfer of image. I must add my concerns about
toxicity of all these products, particularly mineral spirits and xylene.
Everything MUST be done either out-of-doors, near open windows, with a
ventilator fan or equivilent. Forget the eyes tearing which someone mentioned
or throat burning. It's lung damage that you really want to avoid. And of
course, damage also depends on how often you do it.
As far as Oil of Wintergreen goes( which  used to be rubbed on kids chests
for bronchial ailments,) it may not be as toxic but the smell lingers
forever. I have some transfers done 4 or 5 years ago which still smell like
an infirmary.
The fresher the copies, the better the transfer. I put mine through an
etching press with good pressure, but a barren or spoon  or bone folder
rubbed hard will work.
Good luck...it's a very effective technique for layering.
nancy bloch