Re: Letterpress or DTP software?

It is interesting to me how the proliferation of 'desktop publishing' has
prompted us to regard typesetting - as if we could casually just learn a
trade almost as easily as purchasing a software product. (This isn't a flame
directed at the original poster, just a pet peeve in general...)

If you are truly interested in becoming a printer, the press is the only the
first piece of equipment you need. A host of other equipment and supplies is
essential.

If you can't invest the money and/or time in becoming a printer, studying
the history of type, basics of good equipment, layout and press work etc.
(which, believe me, the more you learn, the more you find out how much you
didn't know...), I would recommend working with a printer who will either
collaborate with you on a project by project basis or simply do the
letterpress work for you for a fee.

If you are into it for a long term commitment, as you have already
experienced there are wonderful on-line resources available and many of the
experienced typesetters on the letpress listserv are more than happy to help
you out along the way.

The upside of investing time in learning good typesetting even if you never
set up your own press is that it will vastly improve your computer generated
layout.

Best wishes,
Roberta

Pendleton, OR