Re: Leather sculpting

At the demonstration at Bookbinding 2000 in Rochester, NY,
it was noted that the leather was well chosen for being
soft and pliable, but was pared only on the turn ins.

Please remember, especially if you are new to leather work,
that what a professional thinks is soft and pliable may not
be the same as what you think.

I'm still learning, but some of the leather that I consider
acceptable, they would discard as rubbish.  I did not get
to feel the leather he worked with but I'd guess that it was
almost as soft as a chamois cloth, but it was goat skin.
So, select the leather very carefully or pare it to make it
supple.  A reminder also, his leather was larger than normal
to allow for the portion that is taken up in the manipulation.

Have fun with the process.

Jane Brown
Charleston, SC
brownjm@musc.edu

--On Sun, Jul 2, 2000 2:17 PM +1000 Linda Newbown