Re: Letterpress or DTP software?

I will second Roberta here. I work as a graphic designer for the State of
California's legislature, and I am luckily in an environment where the
vast majority of my colleagues - printers, designers, illustrators and
calligrapher(s) - have a background in what was taught as "industrial
arts" at my highschool and college. Some have been letterpress printers
(we still run a windmill all day for foiling and embossing), some
printmakers, and others various machine operators. All have technical and
some have university training.

While the majority of the typesetters and designers are now doing our work
digitally, I think the quality of what we do comes from our training in
letterpress and fine printing. In fact, we even combine the technologies
on rare occasions - the wealth of types now available in digital form (for
example the wonderful Adobe Jenson, with all the alternate characters,
swash alphabets, small caps and various figures - each in numerous optical
sizes!) is an incredible boon. We typeset on the computer, which allows us
to share proofs quickly and easily even over the internet, and eventually
output to film from which we make magnesium or photopolymer, which can be
locked up and printed just like metal or wood.

Yrs

Joshua Lurie-Terrell