Re: Gutenberg Bible

>The Goettingen State and University Library has announced the final
>version of its digitized Gutenberg Bible. All 1,282 pages of the
>Bible, one of only four complete, illuminated copies on vellum, have
>been scanned and placed online in both German and English versions.

You may like to know that there is also an affordable paperback
facsimile of a Gutenberg Bible available. It's about a quarter the
height of the original, but with all the illuminations pretty
clear. I bought mine in Mainz, near the Museum, so I'm not sure
where the best place to get it is, but I'm sure a bookdealer could
obtain it. I haven't checked the online site to see whether that is
the same version. I only point this out because for an
enthusiast to browse all the pages online would be rather arduous!

Some people may not realise that there is no one complete
illuminated Gutenberg Bible version. Each one was printed without
illumination and left to the owner to commission binding and
illumination, so each is unique - some considerably more beautiful
or elaborate than others.

Tim

Tim Sheppard                    tim@lilliput-p.win-uk.net
Lilliput Press   -   Publisher of fine books in miniature
England                         http://www.lilliput.co.uk
                      The Storytelling FAQ is hosted here