Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 3 Jul 2000 to 4 Jul 2000 (#2000-181)

>Date:    Tue, 4 Jul 2000 16:23:40 -0400
>From:    RJ McCaffery <rj@CONTEMPORARYPOETRY.COM>
>Subject: Question on DP programs and copiers-
>
>Basically, I'm looking for a quick breakdown on different DP programs- what
>I'd most like is one where you can take a straight block of text (say,
>several thousand words long) and drop it into a template that would organize
>your text into a print ready format for signatures.  Actually, a variety of
>templates would be nice so I could experiment with different
>bindings/signature thicknesses/papers etc.
>
>Right now I'm using Word (the textbox function) with one document per
>signature.  Needless to say it's very time consuming to add or delete
>something significant since then I have to move everything in front or
>behind it. . .if that makes any sense.  Also there's the problem of sizing
>the text boxes correctly.  I can trundle along this way, but I dream of a
>program that might make my life easier (not simply equally laborious along
>different lines).
>
>I'm on a pretty limited budget right now so any knock-off programs that
>might get the job done without excessive bells and whistles would be good to
>hear about.

Since you are on a limited budget, and already have a standard word
processor, you don't need another program to produce books. Choose the
paper size you want to use and set your margins. If you want to print
signatures, divide the page, flow the text into place and print each
signature as a booklet. If you have a duplexing laser printer, the process
is much easier.

If you want to Perfect bind, you can print the whole book as a booklet, and
cut the printed pages in two, with no collating or gathering needed.

If you need more information, please contact me.

>OK- the second question concerns photocopying and other mass reproductions.
>If I wanted to put out affordable chapbooks, what might be my best option
>regarding mass reproduction?  Specifically, I'm worried that if I have
>sheets photocopied the toner will bleed or smudge in heat or humidity. .
>.yet there have been some discussions that suggest list members regularly
>use laser and inkjet printers?

Humidity will not affect toner if it doesn't destroy the paper. Heat lower
than 125 degrees Fahrenheit will not affect toner if it is properly adhered
to the paper by the printer fuser rolls. The test for proper adherence is
simple, involving use of a 3M adhesive tape.