Re: Letterpress or DTP software?

> Would you describe this method? What kind of ink do you use? Where do you
> get it? Have you noticed any differences from the stock ink cartridges?
> Where do you insert the syringe? Have you by any chance tested the
> lightfastness?

> The biggest drawback of my Epson Color Stylus is the cost of the cartridges
> and how quickly they empty! Otherwise, the image is great, feeding thickness
> is generous, and it has been a workhorse for a few years, now. About ready
> to retire it.

> By the way, does your 1200 accept oversized paper?

> Thanks--

> Mary

I'd be glad to -- here goes:

First, I got the ink from http://www.inkjetrefills.com

Package includes a regular medical-style syringe and (they say) a much
higher quality ink than is usually found in prefilled cartridges.
Total for 6 bottles of ink (I'm using the 5-color cartridges and a
separate black cartridge), and 2 syringes was $59.

The important thing to know is to *not* follow the directions when it
comes to the amount you inject -- they say 10 cc -- and in reality, I
start with 2-3 cc and see if there's any overflow reaction. Usually,
that's enough for a lot more printing.

The syringe is usually inserted in the middle hole, although this
varies, depending on manufacturer. I've refilled original Epson,
Amazon refillables, and cheapo no-name brands. In every case, I am
careful to only add a little ink at a time.

Print quality has been excellent, and actually better than the
originals from pre-filled Epson. Yes, sometimes it gets messy, but
it's totally worth it. If you use soap and water immediately, most
things clean up ok -- I've never even held a syringe before this, so
it's all been an adventure.

Also -- once you've put in a refilled cartridge, the ordinary
mechanism of a warning light to tell you the cartridge is low doesn't
work any more. You have to watch the print and change cartridges when
the ink actually runs out. You also have to be quick to put the
empties in a sealed baggie, and taping off the openings.

My printer handles up to 11 x 17 inch bleeds, I believe, although I
haven't tested it. I also have to mention that it's got the best paper
feed I've ever seen -- I recently printed out 11 reams of paper and I
was easily able to go to bed and let the thing run through the night
-- I've never had a single paper jam since I bought the thing.

You can tell -- I love it. Hope this helps.

Nancy B.