Laser v. Inkjet

Sorry to clunk in again, but I've been following the Epson/HP discussion.
My question- is there a fundamental difference in results between a laser
printer and an inkjet?  I *know* what each of them are but was wondering if
there's some kind of archival angle that I'm not aware of. . .which is one
of the more interesting things about the list; there's so much experience
here.

Thanks also for all the on/off list responses regarding my question on DTP
software;  it really helped me figure out a path to take.

RJ McCaffery
Eye Dialect
rj@contemporarypoetry.com
http://www.contemporarypoetry.com