Binding; Framing

Dear All
I'm currently making a manuscript for an art exhibition and would be
interested in any input you may be able to give me.  Because the work is
both a manuscript and will be exhibited as an artwork, I want to play on
both, by either making a text that will be designed to be bound as a
concertina, but displaying the whole thing open;  or by making a text folded
to be a 32-page signature, but displaying it flat.  Obviously each page will
have image or text printed on just one side.
Would it make sense to frame this behind glass?  The exhibition is going to
travel and I would hate for it to fall apart with different museum
professionals folding and unfolding it, but by the same token, I don't want
it to become totally precious and out of 'reach' of the average gallery
visitor.
Any suggestions?
Robyn