Books on early examples of books & design

Hello, I'm looking for books to use in a history of graphic design class
which have enough value to use as an extra textbook (to Meggs' History
of Graphic Design). Specifically I'm interested in the pre-printing
press era. I probably have enough on illuminated manuscripts, but could
use more if there was sufficient other material in the book.

Any ideas or suggestions?

thanks in advance

--
Darryl Baird