Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 16 Jul 2000 to 17 Jul 2000 (#2000-193)

Marilyn Goodrich subject: Watercolor Paper
I do a great deal of waterbased painting on paper; both commercial and my ow=
n=20
handmade papers. Recently, I have been using the printmaking papers: "Rives=20
BFK and D=92Arches. The great thing about printmaking papers is that they ar=
e=20
very absorbent and hold brush strokes well. I believe they are usually=20
unsized or only lightly sized which allows the ink to penetrate into the=20
paper rather than running, which could cause buckling. The weights of the=20
paper you use are also important.  Heavier weight papers tend to buckle less=
.=20
 If the buckling is a big problem for you, you should stretch the paper firs=
t=20
and then tape it to a board or to the wall still wet. Many different Japanes=
e=20
papers are especially designed for ink and brush work, and you might do some=
=20
research and experiments in that area.
Kindly,
Prof. Stephanie Rose Bird
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Department of Painting and Drawing