Re: Folded sheet -- Challenges

In a message dated 7/24/00 11:04:18 AM, ibindbooks@SNET.NET writes:

<< Is there a bookbinders method of folding a sheet around a board
> without creasing it?
>   Here's my idea: I glue two sheets of 8" x 11" foam core together
> making a board about 3/8" (9.5mm) in thickness. To one of the long sides
> I glue a 3/8" half round profile of wood or board. An 11" x 17" sheet
> could then fold over the rounded edge without creasing it. A simple
> cover of thicker stock would hold the sheet in place against the board.
>
>    Would this idea work?
> Brian Queen

A very interesting challenge!
Many people would simply fold the document to fit the format. However, you
are asking for something else. The idea you propose should work just fine.
But instead of using a "thicker stock" as a cover, why not use something like
Mylar to protect the document, yet allow it to be viewed. The Mylar could
tuck to the inside of the sandwich of boards just like a dust jacket on the
cover of a book. The only problem is that the owner/user will need some
instruction that the item is intended to be removed for full viewing. There
must be some way of conveying that information WITHOUT having to attach an
instruction sheet.
The one thing that I learned from Bill Anthony, my mentor:  If you have a
design idea, you must realize that someone else may have to use or handle the
item. Don't make it too complicated --- use the KISS principle -- Keep It
Simple-Stupid. Many times we would come up with a design idea that had to be
reworked to simplify it for the average user.

And, as I learned from another conservator (Robert Futernick): Don't be
constrained by the "box" that we impose upon ourselves when we look at a
problem or design idea. Realize that sometimes you can go outside the box for
a solution.

One final suggestion:  The round on the edge could be a stiff (archival) card
stock that can be molded/rolled by wetting with water. It would be more
archival than a piece of wood.
Good Luck.

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike