Workshop with Scott McCarney and Keith Smith

--------------C3493799372A10351A23A912

>From Binding to Books with Scott McCarney and Keith Smith

Hi all,
I'm signed up for a workshop at beautiful Anderson Ranch in Snowmass,
Colorado (next town over from Aspen). The session is called From Binding

To Books and takes place August 21-September 1. Much as i want to do
this, my plans have changed.  Would anyone be interested in taking my
place? I
have reserved a 2-bedroom condo and paid for a breakfast/lunch meal
plan.

        If you're not familiar with the Ranch check out their website at
www.andersonranch.org

        Here's the course description:

             Too often, artists and bookmakers "finish" a project,
     and only then begin to think about how it should be bound.
     Learn to create bindings that
             are not
              afterthoughts, but support a book's theme and
     content. In this class with two of the country's most noted
     book artists, students practice
             techniques for
              making simple fold books and sewn pamphlets as well
     as multi-section bindings. Scott and Keith share a bag of
     tricks for using adhesives and
             working
              with papers, bookcloth, and boards. Slide shows
     illustrate various techniques and inspire your creations. This
     workshop is a solid foundation
             for artists
              interested in making visual books, sculptural books,
     or blank books that serve a specific purpose.

         Skill level: "This workshop is very low tech, and previous
bookbinding experience is not required," the instructors note. The
workshop is
        open to those
         "who have an enthusiasm for books or for making things."

         Scott McCarney and Keith Smith are book artists in Rochester,
NY. They have co-taught bookbinding workshops for many years. Their
        bookworks
         can be found in museum and library collections around the
world. Scott, who will be here for the two-week session, also works as a
trade
        book
         designer. Keith, who will be instructing for the first week
only, self-publishes and distributes his own influential series of
books-on-books.

         Tuition: $750
         Fee: $150

         Enrollment limited to 10
         Workshop #P1224

        Workshops are hands-on,
            complemented by demonstrations, slide shows, lectures and
            critiques.
If you're interested please contact me off list at
cpcooks@telepacific.net
Thanks,
CP

--------------C3493799372A10351A23A912

&nbsp;
<h3>
>From Binding to Books with Scott McCarney and Keith Smith</h3>
&nbsp;
Colorado (next town over from Aspen). The session is called <b>From Binding</b>
to do this, my plans have changed.&nbsp; Would anyone be interested in
taking my place? I
plan.
the Ranch check out their website at <font size=+1>www.andersonranch.org</font>
and bookmakers "finish" a project, and only then begin to think about how
it should be bound. Learn to create bindings that
support a book's theme and content. In this class with two of the country's
most noted book artists, students practice
books and sewn pamphlets as well as multi-section bindings. Scott and Keith
share a bag of tricks for using adhesives and
and boards. Slide shows illustrate various techniques and inspire your
creations. This workshop is a solid foundation
visual books, sculptural books, or blank books that serve a specific purpose.</blockquote>

workshop is very low tech, and previous bookbinding experience is not required,"
the instructors note. The workshop is
for books or for making things."
Keith Smith are book artists in Rochester, NY. They have co-taught bookbinding
workshops for many years. Their
and library collections around the world. Scott, who will be here for the
two-week session, also works as a trade
will be instructing for the first week only, self-publishes and distributes
his own influential series of books-on-books.
to 10