[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Can anyone identify this press???

As I remember, a mangle is a device for ironing laundry, operated by a
seated person feeding the cloth between heated cloth-covered rollers. The
wringer removed most of the water from the clothing and linen, thereby
adding wrinkles to be removed by the mangle. The two terms are not

Commercial laundries use huge mangles to iron king-sized sheets; smaller
mangles are made for home use. It just occurred to me that a mangle might
be adapted for use in some heat transfer applications. I'll bet there are
some small mangles on eBay if someone would want to experiment.

The Dick Blick catalog shows a winger (under Presses) on page 276, for
$164.90. I haven't checked eBay but there ought to be some there. One would
have to be sure the rollers are not worn unevenly, or nicked by too many
buttons. (Careful housewives always made sure the buttons were between
several layers of cloth when they went through the rollers but some always
slipped through.)


At 08:28 AM 08/27/2000 +1000, you wrote:
>I haven't looked at the images but the general opinion seems to be that
>the object is a mangle or clothes wringer. ....
Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA

            BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
      For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
            resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]