Re: vegetarian/vegan alternatives to leather in bookbinding

I'm wondering if anyone here knows about or has tried working with any synthetic types of
'leather' (vegitan, etc), in place of real leather, in bookbinding or book repair.  Has
anything suitable been found?  I am new to this, and coming from lutherie (where modern
alternatives are often sought for such materials as ivory, tortoise-shell, rainforest
hardwoods and so on), I've developed an interest in finding different sorts of materials
which might work in place of the traditional ones.

Thanks,
Robin Thurlow