Vaseline for red rot

Good day!
      I'll be treating a customer's books for red rot, using klucel-g.
She told me that the owner of the book store at which she bought the
books told her that she should treat the rot with vaseline.
     Sounds peculiar to me, but then I haven't been in this field for a
very long time.  Could that possibly be a legitimate treatment now or was
it in the past?

Lavinia Adler