Re: Book Arts in Tuscany

The Archivio di Stato does in fact have a phone number which is (0577)
247.145

They are open to the public. The reading room is reserved for scholars who
would need a letter of introduction from their institution in order to do
research in the archives.  In 1999 they installed an elevator. It can
be reached by walking to the left when you enter the courtyard of Palazzo
Piccolomini.
It may be a good idea to phone and check the hours. They do close in
August, as most government offices.  The hours are also posted at the
elevator entrance and should also be posted at the bottom of the
staircase.

The staff is quite helpful and very knowledgeable.

It is a wonderous place.

Cheers, Mercedes

                  M. & M. Cirfi Walton
                  University of Toronto