Re: Book Arts in Tuscany

There's obviously some confusion here. The Museo delle Tavolette is listed
with the Sienese Tourist Board - *without* a phone number. And it's not
clear from your very helpful note that "the public" is admitted, as
opposed to scholars with research needs. Are the tablets on view?

As many of us know, access to monuments, museums and churches is always
chancy in Italy. That's part of the challenge, and part of the fun.

 On Sat, 11 Nov
2000, M. Cirfi Walton wrote:

> The Archivio di Stato does in fact have a phone number which is (0577)
> 247.145
>
> They are open to the public. The reading room is reserved for scholars who
> would need a letter of introduction from their institution in order to do
> research in the archives.  In 1999 they installed an elevator. It can
> be reached by walking to the left when you enter the courtyard of Palazzo
> Piccolomini.
> It may be a good idea to phone and check the hours. They do close in
> August, as most government offices.  The hours are also posted at the
> elevator entrance and should also be posted at the bottom of the
> staircase.
>
> The staff is quite helpful and very knowledgeable.
>
> It is a wonderous place.
>
> Cheers, Mercedes
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                   M. & M. Cirfi Walton
>                   University of Toronto
>            Internet:  mcirfi@chass.utoronto.ca
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Paul T Werner wrote:
>
> > Here is a review of the Siena museum mentioned by Peter Sramek - I just
> > hope you have better luck....
> >
> > Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:50:22 -0500 (EST)
> > Subject: WOID III-15. Review: A Museum in Italy.
> >
> > For about three centuries the Sienese Government collected its accounts
> > into thick books bound in wooden boards decorated with simple images and
> > large titles. Some of these can be seen in the Museo dell' Opera
> > Metropolitana (in Siena), and there is at least one in the Met, in New
> > York. The tablets I've seen in either museum have a particular boldness,
> > based in part on the broad areas of colors and the apparent use of oil
> > glazes on top of the water-based paint; visually they fall midway between
> > medieval illumination and modern art.
> >
> > To see the rest you have to go to the Museo delle Tavolette di Bicherna,
> > located in the State Archives in Siena, in the Palazzo Piccolomini, at
> > Banchi di Sotto 53. There is no phone number, and when I got there a sign
> > suggested that the premises were off-limits to visitors - rather odd,
> > since the building also contains the Sienese tax agencies. I walked up the
> > stairs, past the tax collector's office, to the top, where a huge door was
> > marked "Archivio di St to " (the "A" was falling off). I knocked on the
> > door but there was no answer.
> >
> > Deh! La prossima volta...

> >                             UNSUB Book_Arts-L
> >                            ALL COMMANDS GO TO:
> >                         LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

Paul Werner, New York City
http://www.theorangepress.com
    DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent title: "Vellum Preparation: History and
Technique." Forthcoming: <<La Preparation du Parchemin : Histoire et
techniques>>.
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.