Re: Poly vs. Jacket

At 11:04 AM 11/13/2000 -0900, you wrote:
>Art Rubino wrote about book jacket covers on library books and anticipated
>provoking animosity.  As a librarian in a small public library I will
>respond, though not with animosity, just a different perspective.
>
>We use book jackets and yes, we attach them to the book.  We use acid free
>strips that we get from Kapco.  They are about 3/8" wide and 2.5" long.
>They are stuck down on the front cover under the jacket, folded over the
>top, and then on the inside to the flap.  So there are four bits of tape on
>the covers underneath the book jacket and it is true that if we have to
>remove them it sometimes damages the cover, though if the jacket stays on it
>doesn't show.

At the little library where I volunteer, we use mylar covers on the book
jackets but the covered jacket is not attached to the book itself. I cannot
explain the method we use except to say it's how we all learned to cover
our textbooks in school. The fore edges and corners of the book are totally
enclosed and the jacket is taped over the top and bottom of the book on the
outside about 2 inches from the fore edge, front and back, without touching
the book itself. I have never known a jacket to fall off.

Mylar used by itself can still be taped to itself over the top and bottom
on the outside, without adhering to the book covering.

Betty
Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA