Re: India

india is actaually dotted with handpaper manufacturesrs, some in the state
of rajestan & utter pradesh still doing it the traditional non mechanical
way, probably the last of a dying breed of craftspersons. one such person in
jaipur, rajestan is ZAKIR HUSSAIN MOHAMMED HUSSAIN, HOUSE 27,
MASJID-JE-PASS, KAGZI MOHULLA, SANGANER, JAIPUR ...a delightful man, a must
see/meet, for anyone  interested in traditional indian papermaking.  but
visiting these people and places requires time and
determination...contacting Mr Singh at the KNHPI, a paper institiute in
Jaipur ( fax:91-141-730369) will be a good in road into the several
handpaper people in the area.

there are also some museums that have good collections of palm leaf books
and old manuscripts. on the contemporary scenes,there's not much happening
really.

there's an interesting book " Gift of Conquerors" by Alexandra Soteriou
(Mapin Publishing, ISBN 81-85822-07-7)(or Soteriou is contactable at
world.paper@juno.com)that gives an exhaustive historical perspective on
indian handpaper. it would be worth going through before coming to india.
the book will also provide a wealth of names& addresses.

there is one large handpaper mill in pondicherry in tamil nadu, south india,
that's worth a visit if you are in the area.

for infomation about nepal, try visiting www.marinapaper.com
marina has her works and store in katmandu & she might give you leads onto
other paperpeople.

good luck

jenny