Re: Request For Info - Books of the Middle Ages

I take it from your query that you're *not* interested in bindings per se
but if you are - yes, Szirmai would do the trick. And if you're not
interested in "major" works and rich illumination, likewise, de Hamel and
a hundred others wouldn't help you much, either. Although Diringer is
widely used it's also way outdated - and I'm not sure I would have trusted
it even back then.

My suggestion, if it's at all within your reach: Henri-Jean Martin and
Jean Vezin, eds."Mise en page et mise en texte du livre manuscrit." Paris:
Editions du Cercle de la Librairie/Promodis. It's a series of articles,
each written by an expert in his/her field, analyzing how pages were
planned and books written within very specific areas, e.g., the format,
script, production and intended audience of a troubadour poem. The best
balance of detailed analysis within a broad overview that I know.

Paul Werner, New York City
http://www.theorangepress.com
    DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent title: "Vellum Preparation: History and
Technique." Forthcoming: <<La Preparation du Parchemin : Histoire et
techniques>>.
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.