Re: Request For Info - Books of the Middle Ages

Nikki,

This is my particular area of interest and I'm happy to contribute some of
the information Dorothy Africa, Jack Thompson and others have helped me
with.

-- J.A. Szirmai (my hero)  is the author of "The Archaeology of
Bookbinding". Although it is expensive, if this is an area of interest, this
is the one book worth owning. It incorporates some of the information in the
Brownrigg book (also a great resource).

-- Barbara Shailor "The Medieval Book" is a nice, affordable, illustrated
account of bookbinding as well as being a lovely examination of the
offerings of the Beinecke Library. In particular, there is a 15th century
student book -- 1/2 bound leather with beech boards that sounds like it
might interest you.

-- Christopher de Hamel (A History of Illuminated Manuscripts): this is a
lovely book (and has an excellent photo of a book which has been carved for
spectacles inside the front cover board). Also wrote "Scribes and
Illuminators" which is another nice medieval bookbinding resource. The
section on parchment-making is especially informative.

-- The Putnam book(s) is fascinating but has more to do with the
binders/stationers than the books themselves.

If you can be more specific (off-list?) about your interest areas (time,
place), I might be able to point you to some more focused works.

Whitney Dickinson