RBS 2001 winter/spring sessions

This message is being sent to the Book_arts-L, ExLibris, and SHARP
electronic bulletin boards:

Rare Book School is pleased to announce its full schedule of January,
March, and June 2001 courses. For a complete listing and description of
courses, see our Web site at

        http://www.virginia.edu/oldbooks/rbs2001w/

Here follows a summary of the winter/spring offerings. In recent years, a
number of these courses have become difficult to get into during the RBS
summer session because of the large number of applications
        We're expecting less pressure on them in the winter and spring sessions.

January 4-8
        History of the Book, 200-2000 (Daniel Traister)
        Book Illustration Processes to 1890 (Terry Belanger)
        Implementing Encoded Archival Description (Daniel Pitti)

March 12-16
        The Printed Book in the West to 1800 (Martin Antonetti)
        Printed Ephemera (Michael Twyman)
        Publishers' Bookbindings, 1830-1910  (Sue Allen)
        Intro to Descriptive Bibliography (Terry Belanger/Richard Noble)
        Electronic Texts and Images (David Seaman)

June 4-8
        History of European and American Papermaking (John Bidwell)
        Physical Evidence in Early Printed Books (Paul Needham)
        Book Illustration Processes to 1890 (Terry Belanger)
        Rare Book Cataloging (Deborah Leslie)

On a related front, we are considerably ahead of our usual schedule in
planning for the RBS 2001 summer session, and we expect to publish the
schedule of courses offered well before Christmas. A tentative list of
these courses is included in the Winter/Spring Sessions 2001 brochure,
which goes out to the Friends of Rare Book School shortly after Thanksgiving.

Terry Belanger  :  University Professor  :   University of Virginia
Rare Book School : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903
Tel: 804/924-8851   FAX: 804/924-8824  email: belanger@virginia.edu