Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 19 Nov 2000 to 20 Nov 2000 (#2000-316)

In a message dated 11/21/00 12:08:27 AM, LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU writes:

<< Date:    Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:08:25 EST
From:    Barbara Harman <ArtSurvive@AOL.COM>
Subject: Re: New York Center for Book Arts Pricing Conference

Is this a joke? Barbara >>

<<The following letter has been prepared after attending the highly=20
informative Center for Book Arts Pricing Conference in New York on Thursday,=
=20
November 16, 2000.

November 18, 2000
=20
Dear Museums, Libraries, Institutions, Dealers and Collectors,

I wanted to bring to your attention the unfortunate errors on my previous=20
Artist Book Price List which you received recently. I was in Marrakesh and=20
the typos slipped by my former administrative assistant.

Those books listed as $5000.00 should be $50.00,  $4000.00 should read=20
$40.00, and so forth.  Also the cover letter, which she signed for me, may=20
not have mentioned that I will be making Xerox =A9 copies of all of my books=
=20
which will be available for your collections, priced attractively at $5.00.=20

Hopefully,  you will reconsider purchasing my unique books.  Should this=20
still create a problem for your budget, due to your building expansion=20
program, I would be willing to offer you a Special Discount to meet your=20
budgetary needs.=20

Thank you for your interest in my books.

Sincerely,
Alice Simpson
Support Living Artists>>

November 21, 2000
Dear Barbara and all-
My son always said my sense of humor would get me in trouble.=20
Yes, it was a tongue-in-cheek response to the fascinating and highly
informative, if not disappointing, information given at the=20
New York Center for Book Arts Pricing Conference this week.

It seems that prices for unique artist books are not improving very much--=20
"We don't get no respect" as the saying goes.=20
Many major institutions expect us to donate our books as they expand.=20
Many have a price range for purchases of $100-300.
I left graphic design to work hands-on-- to learn that MOMA only purchases=20
mechanically produced books for their collection.

I posed the following question that evening:
What does one do when one has already submitted a price list to libraries,=20
museums, institutions with prices too high for their collections? It was=20
suggested that one call back and offer a "special discount."

Considered faking my own death, then decided to write that letter,=20
which I assumed would cause someone to laugh.=20

Please be assured that I do not have an administrative assistant, former or=20
present,=20
I have not been in Morrocco in at least twenty years and I did not send that=
=20
letter to anyone living or dead at any museum, library or institution.

I will continue to make books whether anyone buys them or not, because I lov=
e=20
making them.
Here's to all of you for a happy T-Day.
Sincerely,=20