Re: Center for Book Arts Pricing Conference

I very much enjoyed Alice's humorous posts stimulated by the Center for
Book Arts pricing discussion. I had hoped to attend, but was out of
town. It is unfortunate that so many people in this field are at the
mercy of librarians who are on tight budgets, but don't worry too much
about it. Remember that it is not the Museum of Modern Art that collects
cheap artists' books. It is their Library. The Museum collects expensive
artists' books, though mostly they are not really "Artists' Books", but
are Livres d'Artiste (in the Vollard sense) by famous artists that the
trustees collect ;>}

In the wry humor dept, though, Id give Mike's Message the gold star:
http://www.michaelmoore.com/2000_11_11.html

I follow a different strategy with pricing. Every year the prices on my
old editions go up. It doesn't have anything to do with sales, the
economy, or anything else. It is because of the biography of
Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler. I recommend that everyone involved in selling
art read it.

For example, when I issued Minsky in London in 1980, it sold at a
pre-publication price of $400 (to raise money to print it), was issued
at $1,200, sold a couple of years ago at #3,600 and is now $4,300.
Minsky in Bed sold at a pre-publication price of $7,000 and is now
$25,000. The Bill of Rights Edition first sold at a pre-publication
price of $5,000 and is still in pre-publication at $9,000 (thru Jan. 1,
2001). The publication price is $12,000 (Dec. 2001). Then it goes up.

--
        Richard
        http://minsky.com