Re: Is Rawhide Vellum? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 06:27:25 -0500
From: Rick <cav@storm.ca>

Vellum is rawhide, but I don't really think you can say that rawhide is
vellum - at least not the rawhide I've seen.

Vellum is typically degreased, stretched and finished to a much higher
standard.  So, vellum would be a special category of rawhide.

I expect this person would have a hard time doing limp vellum binding with
most of the rawhides I've seen.  I've known some bookbinders to shy away
from even a medium thickness vellum.

Cheers, Rick