Desperately seeking flip book info

--=====================_8610300==_.ALT

This message is being posted to the Book_Arts-L, ExLibris, and SHARP
electronic bulletin boards.

A University of Virginia student in our new undergraduate media studies
program, Adam Zissman, is writing a paper on the history of flip books, and
he has been experiencing considerable difficulty in getting information
about them. He says:

>They seem to have been around since the 1860's, but I cannot find any
>details beyond that. I have looked from several angles, including movable
>books, comic books, and premiums, but have not found anything. If anyone
>could steer me towards some information, I would greatly appreciate it.
>Adam Zissman
>ajz7r@virginia.edu

Please respond directly to him (unless you think your information of
general interest). One of his best sources of information thus far has been
eBay postings (he's also a collector), but I'm hoping we can do better for
him than this!

Terry Belanger  :  University Professor  :   University of Virginia
Rare Book School : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903
Tel: 804/924-8851   FAX: 804/924-8824  email: belanger@virginia.edu

--=====================_8610300==_.ALT

and SHARP electronic bulletin boards.<br>
A University of Virginia student in our new undergraduate media studies
program, Adam Zissman, is writing a paper on the history of flip books,
and he has been experiencing considerable difficulty in getting
information about them. He says:<br>
1860's, but I cannot find any details beyond that. I have looked from
several angles, including movable books, comic books, and premiums, but
have not found anything. If anyone could steer me towards some
information, I would greatly appreciate it.<br>
Adam Zissman <br>
ajz7r@virginia.edu</blockquote><br>
Please respond directly to him (unless you think your information of
general interest). One of his best sources of information thus far has
been eBay postings (he's also a collector), but I'm hoping we can do
better for him than this! <br>
:&nbsp;&nbsp; University of Virginia</div>
22903</div>
belanger@virginia.edu</div>