From: Hagadorn, Alexis [mailto:ah333@COLUMBIA.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 5:14 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Lecture by Deborah Evetts

The NY Chapter of the Guild of Book Workers and the Center for Book Arts
invite you to a lecture by Deborah Evetts:
 "Fine Binding: My Approach"

Thursday, November 30th, 6pm at: Center for Book Arts 28 West 27th Street,
3rd Floor New York, NY 10001

Vivid color slides show the making of a fine binding, from its design and
development (through the use of colored papers and gold tooled Mylar) to
the finished binding.  The talk will also describe edge decoration, end
paper and cover decoration - onlays, inlays, and gold tooling.

Originally from England, Deborah Evetts began her training at Brighton
College of Art, and completed it at the prestigious Central School of Arts
and Crafts, under William Matthews. She began her teaching career at Epsom
and Ewell School of Art, expanding it to Guildford College of Art, Holloway
Women's Prison, and Brighton College of Art.  She worked for two of
England's finest hand binders, Roger Powell and Peter Waters and taught in
the British art school system, before immigrating to the United States.
After working with Carolyn Horton at her New York City bindery and teaching
privately for two years, she accepted the position she holds today - Book
Conservator at the Pierpont Morgan Library. Her career combines not only
her work on the treasures at the Morgan Library, such as the Beatus
Apocalypse, but fine binding, designing, conservation and consultation for
major institutions and prominent private collectors, teaching, and
lecturing.  The Reader's Digest and Limited Editions Club use her binding
designs on their publications. The Smithsonian Institution called on Ms.
Evetts to inaugurate its Ancient Crafts Revived series with her marbling
workshops.

The lecture will be followed by a reception at the Center.
RSVP: Alexis Hagadorn - preferably via email: ah333@columbia.edu, or phone
212-854-8081.

                            UNSUB Book_Arts-L
                           ALL COMMANDS GO TO: