Re: Moving Standing Press

I've had to move a standing press 3 times and here is how I've done it.

Lower the platen onto a solid support (about waist-high) and remove the
bolts from the collar attaching the screw to the platen and wind the screw
back up out of the way. Remove the platen and put it somewhere out of the
way.

Wear an old shirt and throw a rag or old towel over one shoulder, and
unwind the screw.  Go slow when it is close to coming out of the nut
and be prepared to take the weight when it drops; lay it against your
toweled shoulder and put it somewhere out of the way.

Now get some help (I've done the above alone, but not the next part) and
gently lay the press on its side.  If you can lay it onto a couple of
palettes, and have a palette jack, so much the better.

Undo the nuts at the top of the press and begin pulling the top away;
then begin unthreading the long bolts from the base.  If you do this
the bolts won't be hanging free while you work.

Now, all you have to do is move the parts into the van.

If you have a couple of palette jacks and a helper, you can probably get
by with leaving the rods in place and only remove the platen and screw.

Enjoy!

Jack

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
Portland, Oregon  97217
USA

(503)735-3942 (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

"The lyf so short; the craft so long to lerne"
Chaucer, <The Parlement of Foules> 1386 A.D.