Re: eradicating remainder marks?

--part1_76.7b4510e.27b94a6f_boundary

Remainder marks are meant to identify books that weren't sold by the
publisher...they were returned to the publisher, and they're marked in
usually a hideous fashion then sold at deep discount by booksellers, usually
a year or two after the book was first published. These marks decrease the
book's value, if the book ever becomes collectable...a perfect example is Ed
Abbey's Monkey Wrench Gang. That book is notorious for its remainder marks,
and the marks are usually very sloppy...some silly bastard took great pride
in scribbling with a black sharpie all over the bottom of that book...clean
ones fetch much more. That's what a remainer mark is all about...the library
markings you're speaking of make the book "ex-library", and that renders even
some of the most valuable books almost worthless...speaking from a
collector's point, of course. Have a great day!

In a message dated 2/12/01 6:57:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
brownjm@MUSC.EDU writes:

> Don't forget, the reason the mark was put there in the
> first place was to identify the book for the library.
> When applied, it was intended to be permanent and difficult or
> impossible to remove.  According
> to the message below and my experience, it is.
>
> Jane Brown
> Charleston, SC

--part1_76.7b4510e.27b94a6f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Remainder marks are meant to identify books that weren't sold by the
<BR>publisher...they were returned to the publisher, and they're marked in
<BR>usually a hideous fashion then sold at deep discount by booksellers, usually
<BR>a year or two after the book was first published. These marks decrease the
<BR>book's value, if the book ever becomes collectable...a perfect example is Ed
<BR>Abbey's Monkey Wrench Gang. That book is notorious for its remainder marks,
<BR>and the marks are usually very sloppy...some silly bastard took great pride
<BR>in scribbling with a black sharpie all over the bottom of that book...clean
<BR>ones fetch much more. That's what a remainer mark is all about...the library
<BR>markings you're speaking of make the book "ex-library", and that renders even
<BR>some of the most valuable books almost worthless...speaking from a
<BR>collector's point, of course. Have a great day!
<BR>
<BR>In a message dated 2/12/01 6:57:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time,