[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Glossary or no glossary

Remember that the traditional Chinese book has a folded sheet, with the fold
at the fore-edge.  And European-tradition books have that fold at the spine.
That difference probably affects the terminology of the book, since the view
of the text and its support is different.
Cathy Atwood

-----Original Message-----
From: RLavadour [mailto:paper@OREGONTRAIL.NET]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: Glossary or no glossary

>>What is called the fore edge in English, is called the mouth by the
>>Chinese, and the spine is, to them, the brain.

This is interesting - are there other terms used in different parts of the
world to describe the parts of a traditional book?


Pendleton, Oregon

            BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
      For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
            resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

                          To unsubscribe send:
                            UNSUB Book_Arts-L
                           ALL COMMANDS GO TO:

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]