Re: Books wet .... -- follow-up

In a message dated 3/25/01 4:06:32 PM, storz@MCN.ORG writes:

<< My thanks to all who answered my question about how to treat books that had
been soaked when the sewer backed up. I forwarded the messages to the owner
of the B&B, who had temporarily stored several boxes of books on the floor of
the shower while she redesigned the office. She won't do that again. >>

Betty,
I guess you and the list may not need further/follow-up information to my
message. But just in case you might be interested:
Again, freezing is an important step while one decides what to do with water
damaged books/papers.
We have worked on a few water damaged books.
The most recent book was thawed and disbound in water that had some bleach as
a disinfectant -- we were aware of possible health concerns AND we could
probably have done even better to protect ourself. We also wore rubber
gloves. Once the signatures were disbound, each page was gently brushed to
remove sand, etc  -- the page was laying on a piece of wood that was floating
in another tray of water (with bleach). Then each sheet was interleaved with
Reemay for support during further washing and eventual deacidification.
Another major project was with about 25 water damaged books that were vacuum
freeze dried. The paper was heavily stained and had extensive tide lines from
a poor quality/improper freeze drying technique. Since the sewing in those
books was intact and there was no silt/sand, we devised a way to wash the
books intact. They were then naturally dried and recovered. The results were
wonderful and saved a great deal of time/money from disbinding. I gave a
presentation on this treatment option at the 1999 AIC Book and Paper Group
meeting. I plan to get an article written for an upcoming issue of the Book
and Paper Group Annual.

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695