Spine-backing question

The issue of glues in rebacking books came up on another list a week or so
ago.

Most old books are glued up with animal glue, and my preference, in re-doing
them has been to use a coat of such glue against the spine with PVA over it
for reversibility.

The author of one comment suggested using cooked wheat-paste instead with a
layer of Sekishu over it, before using the PVA as a final glue.

The theory was that "critters" like to attack the animal glue; but my guess
is that they also like the paste.

Comments on the paste/Sekishu idea?

Charles