Re: Spine-backing question

The paste/Seikishu method is one that Gary Frost used to refer to as a
"pounced-on" spine because the paper is applied with the up and down
stenciling motion of a stencil brush for a close fit.  It is the best way to
deal with reversibility for rebacked spines because if the book ever needs
rebacking again, all one has to do is grab the spine material by the
headband and do a dry pull.  The spine material comes off easily without
damaging the folds of the spine.  The important thing to realise is that the
amount of wheat paste used is extremely small compared to animal glue whose
thickness is trickier to control.  I use only enough wheat paste to dampen
the folds, wiping off any excess with my fingers. I then pounce-on the
Japanese paper using a stencil brush. In many cases, there is enough wheat
paste left over on the spine from the stripping off of the old animal glue
to sufficiently apply the paper, so I do not apply any more wheat paste.
With a miniscule amount of wheat paste present, it provides less munchies
for the bugs than animal glue, and you have the reversibility you need.
Just be sure you allow a full 8 hours to let the spine dry before you apply
PVA, super, and any final linings you may need.