Re: Spine-backing question

The previous post was sent accidentally before I had finished.

I have never had a good experience using Hide glue. Every time I have tried
I vowed I'd never use it again. But books bound with animal glue survived
for centuries and held together just fine. Animals don't like wheat paste,
but silverfish and other critters do. If books are kept on shelves that are
cleaned regularly and no food or crumbs nearby, there won't be a problem.
That's why libraries insist on no eating in the library and carpeting is
discouraged ( It should be vacuumed daily if it is used - and who does that?)

For now, I'm going along with Laura Smith's instructions. She uses no glue,
paste only on the spine with Japanese paper (Hosho in her case - but I
think Sekishu is better) Then a strip of lawn - I couldn't find any at the
fabric store in Fort Bragg (CA). A fine cotton, such as batiste or organdy,
could be substituted but linen is stronger than cotton. Airplane linen is
so expensive although I've read about a new cheaper substitute. If you can
find it, handkerchief linen would be fine. I had the idea of using old
linen handkerchieves but maybe they would have been weakend by bleaching. I
do have some old linen handkerchieves (given to me long ago as gifts) that
have never been used. Could I use them, minus the embroidery, of course?

Betty
At 10:45 AM 05/05/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>The issue of glues in rebacking books came up on another list a week or so
>ago.
>
>Most old books are glued up with animal glue, and my preference, in re-doing
>them has been to use a coat of such glue against the spine with PVA over it
>for reversibility.
>
>The author of one comment suggested using cooked wheat-paste instead with a
>layer of Sekishu over it, before using the PVA as a final glue.
>
>The theory was that "critters" like to attack the animal glue; but my guess
>is that they also like the paste.
>
>Comments on the paste/Sekishu idea?
>
>Charles

Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org