Re: Spine-backing question (correction)

I must have been having a Senior Moment when I wrote on May 6 "...I'm going
along with Laura Smith's instructions," I meant to write Laura YOUNG's
instructions. And she uses all three adhesives, mixture (50%/ each PVA and
paste to attach headbands, wheat paste on the spine, then the lawn. Thin
hide glue is used to glue a strip of acid free paper to the lawn. Young
emphasizes the importance of thorough drying between steps.

Betty

At 09:07 AM 05/06/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>The previous post was sent accidentally before I had finished
>
>...For now, I'm going along with Laura Smith's instructions. She uses no
glue,
>paste only on the spine with Japanese paper (Hosho in her case - but I
>think Sekishu is better) Then a strip of lawn - I couldn't find any at the
>fabric store in Fort Bragg (CA). A fine cotton, such as batiste or organdy,
>could be substituted but linen is stronger than cotton. Airplane linen is
>so expensive although I've read about a new cheaper substitute. If you can
>find it, handkerchief linen would be fine. I had the idea of using old
>linen handkerchieves but maybe they would have been weakend by bleaching. I
>do have some old linen handkerchieves (given to me long ago as gifts) that
>have never been used. Could I use them, minus the embroidery, of course?
>
>Betty

>>                            UNSUB Book_Arts-L
>>                           ALL COMMANDS GO TO:
>>                        LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU