From Book History to Book Studies

Dear Colleagues,

        Last January I gave a talk to the American Printing History Association,
"From Book History to Book Studies."  It provoked a gratifying flurry of
discussion.  In a sentence, I proposed that all of us who work with books
-- book historians, librarians, publishers, printers, book artists,
typographers, papermakers, and folks experimenting with electronic texts --
should collaborate in setting up interdisciplinary academic programs in
Book Studies.  The APHA has graciously posted my remarks on their web site
at:

        http://www.printinghistory.org/htm/misc/awards/2001-SHARP.htm

        Feedback would be most welcome.  You can either post your responses on the
SHARP-L listserv or send them to me off-list at jerose@drew.edu.

Many thanks,

Jonathan Rose
Department of History