[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]


Kate O'Halloran wrote:
> "Shoji" are the wood and paper screens, often sliding in tracks, used as
> room dividers in traditional Japanese houses.

I believe "shoji" applies largely to the *exterior*
sliding walls. Interior walls are usually "fusuma".
Paper is pasted over a gridlike framework for shoji,
and allows light to filter in. Fusuma don't have a
visible grid and are more "solid" for privacy. They
used to be painted with wonderful murals, like the
folding screens.

Susan Fatemi

            BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
      For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
            resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

                          To unsubscribe send:
                            UNSUB Book_Arts-L
                           ALL COMMANDS GO TO:

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]