shoji

Kate O'Halloran wrote:

> "Shoji" are the wood and paper screens, often sliding in tracks, used as
> room dividers in traditional Japanese houses.

I believe "shoji" applies largely to the *exterior*
sliding walls. Interior walls are usually "fusuma".
Paper is pasted over a gridlike framework for shoji,
and allows light to filter in. Fusuma don't have a
visible grid and are more "solid" for privacy. They
used to be painted with wonderful murals, like the
folding screens.

Susan Fatemi
susanf@peer.berkeley.edu