Shoji

Shoji screens consist of a lattice of narrow wood strips which may
be covered on one or both sides with paper.

The basic form may be a sliding door, a window, a folding screen,
or (in my own conservation work) a support for oversize works of
art on paper, including scrolls.

Jack

>J. Turner
>
>p.s. also a random question to the List: Can anyone tell me what "Shoji"
>is? I've just ordered Toshio Odate's book on Japanese Woodworking Tools,
>and saw that he has recently come out with a book on "Making Shoji."

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217

503/735-3942 (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

"The lyfe so short; the craft so long to lerne"
        Chaucer, Parlement of Foules, 1386