exhibit in NYC

I am pleased to announce the following exhibit of my work. For those of
you not in the NYC area, there will (soon) be a posting of the exhibit
on the Center for Book Arts website.
Emily Martin

Four Decades of Artistís Books
by
Emily Martin
Monthly Featured Artist
May 15-June 14, 2001

The Center for Book Arts
28 West 27th St., 3rd floor
NY, NY 10001
212 481-0295
www.centerforbookarts.org

Statement:
I started as a painter/sculptor working with personal or anecdotal
imagery. I have found that books, particularly sculptural book forms
provide me with the proper arena for my intentions. With book forms, I
can better involve my viewer; I can combine words and images and can
present multiple scenes or views in a single work. I like the complexity
that working with books allows, the materials, the forms, the content
all working together.

Biography:
Martin has been making artists books since the late 70ís, when she was
in graduate school. She earned an M.F.A. in painting from the University
of Iowa in 1979. Since then Martin has been producing narrative
paintings, sculpture and books. Most of her earlier books were one of a
kind sculptural books. She began producing limited edition books in the
late 80ís, using images from her paintings and drawings. In 1996, Martin
began the Naughty Dog Press, producing books using text either alone or
in combination with visual imagery. She uses a variety of printing
methods with her books, inkjet printing, letterpress, Xerox, color Xerox
and offset. Martinís books are in public and private collections
throughout the United States and internationally, including the
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; The Tate Gallery, London; The
Museum of Contemporary Art of Chicago; The Walker Art Center,
Minneapolis, Minnesota; The Marvin and Ruth Sackner Archive of Concrete
and Visual Poetry, Miami Beach, Florida; the Rhode Island School of
Design, Harvard, Yale, Wellesley College and others. Martin teaches at
the University of Iowa Center for the Book and in workshops around the
country. She lives and works in Iowa City, Iowa, U.S.A. The Naughty Dog
Press is named after Martinís dog and studio companion, Gomez.