Re: Paring stone

>A while back, I asked for help finding a paring stone, and got some
great
American Graphic Arts.

Is there anything I should do to prepare/preserve this stone?

*******************

Sand the stone back with increasingly-fine sandpaper (probably
"wet-and-dry" sandpaper).  1000 grit or more should be your final
sanding.  You will need the very best elbow grease for this operation!
Do this sanding thoroughly, and continue until you have cut back the
scratches and dents.  A good lithographic stone surface should be smooth
and shiny.  It will last you for years.

Make a covering for it, with 2-3 mm thick boards, as if you were making
a lid of a box.  Then, you can use the flat area for other purposes,
without damaging the surface of the stone.  As they are so very heavy to
lift up and down, find a place on a secondary bench to place it, and
leave it there.

We have two such stones, of different dimensions and thicknesses, to
which this operation has been performed, and they have very reliable
paring surfaces.

Peter Krantz.
Book Restorations.
Sydney,