Re: Question about large format book

In a message dated 5/16/01 6:54:32 AM, Vishnovus@AOL.COM writes:

<< The whole thing is a bit cumbersome to view and the collector gently
suggested I display the prints in book form in the future. We are also
currently discussing putting
these existing prints into a book. Any advice?  >>

Everyone may know that Audubon's Birds of America was originally intended to
be bound. Unfortunately, many sets have been disbound for various reasons,
one of which may have been the enormous weight of a single volume -- over 60
lbs for 100 26" x 40" bound plates. Some institutions have disbound their set
in favor of matting, or Mylar "L" sleeves in portfolios. However, a bound
volume does make it a little more difficult to "loose" a plate.
I recently had the grand experience of consulting on the treatment of an
Audubon. (I started my apprenticeship on treating one and look forward to
doing another.) The current four volumes are large and heavy, but,
fortunately, the client is interested in maintaining the bound format.  We
suggested that each plate could be extended with Japanese paper. The plates
(maybe 20 - 30) could be bound in a special "screw-post" type binder* (see
note at end). This would reduce the overall weight of each volume, yet allow
the book to be disassembled if the need should arise. We were also going to
interleave with an acid-free paper to help with preservation. The interleaf
would also be a support sheet for turning. This thinner binding would be
easier to transport to the exhibition case from the vault.
*Note: Standard screw-posts have a head that is about 3/8" which means that
the binder has to be more than 1/2" wide. We suggested a special designed
metal binder that was to be about 1/4" wide. It would be hidden from view
which we thought would be more attractive.

We are also working with an artist and a papermaker on another idea for heavy
paper "bound" plates.

Hope this helps.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike